Best book for Fedora (Linux) for beginner

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 00:11:05 UTC 2005

Neal Wilkinson wrote:

> To understand how it works and be fairly fluent in it. If you could buy
> just one. Which one would it be? I know it will take time and all that
> and most likely more than one book but if you could just get one (thats
> where I am) which would it be? Thanks.
>
> Neal

Neal, to some extent the appropriate response to your question depends
on how you plan to use a Fedora Linux system.   Before purchasing any
bound book, you could do far worse than pointing your browser at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/

and downloading a number of the RHEL4 manuals available at that
location.  RHEL4 is reportedly a synthesis of FC2 and FC3.  You will
find a choice between .pdf and html formats for most of the manuals and
for many the html format is available in noarch.rpm packages that can be
installed on any Fedora Core system.

Manuals available include, the Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Installation Guide for x86, Itanium, and AMD64 Architectures
Introduction to System Administration
System Administration Guide
Reference Guide
Security Guide
SELinux Guide
Step by Step Guide

For starters, the Installation and Reference Guides provide quite a bit
of background (I have not looked at the Step by Step Guide).

You can also find a lot of very useful information at
http://www.tldp.org.  For example, take a look at
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/