OffTopic--Linux Certification-Novell/CompTIA etc

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 14:50:09 UTC 2005

It really just depends on the employer. If a person knows their stuff and
can prove it, I would think that always trumps any other qualifications. On
the other hand if one is RHCE and another candidate is not, the
non-certified individual had better be pretty darn fluent to be able to beat
the other person out.

Having said that, there are indeed a lot of people who DO have a ton of
knowledge and experience, and no certs. Whether their background is a lot of
UNIX, programming or whatever, I have known many people who basically should
never 'need' to get certified, at least not in Linux.

However there are also a lot of people (maybe more), young Jedi knights if
you will, who just need to prove qualifications to get to the next level (
helpdesk to Net Eng, Net Eng to Consultant, whatever). That is, to me, what
certs are good for. Not to get you something you aren't qualified for, but
to allow you to get an interview or maybe a job that you wouldn't get
otherwise.

My rundown on the linux certs:

1. Linux+ - entry level, M/c as stated, recently made harder, still good to
get if you are someone in the second category...it still takes you to a
higher level, although I agree being M/C you can't put much stock in it, all
by itself anyway.

2. LPIC - mid level, along with Novell's cert. They take a while to get with
multiple tests and such. Novell has basically piggybacked the Linux training
onto their CNA/CNE track that was already in place.

3. RHCE -- probably the best Linux cert, by far, and undoubtedly the hardest
from what I understand. ESPECially true now that it is 100% hands- on (RH
did away with the M/C part a while back). Look at the job boards, they are
basically asking for RHCE (and occasionally Solaris or LPIC certifications).

Marc