No way to access nfs mounts with file open dialog?

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Apr 15 17:54:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:32:41PM -0400, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 16:01 -0700, Hugh Caley wrote:
> > It seems like the File/Open dialogs in the Fedora/Gnome apps no longer
> > have a way to type in a path to a file, which is fine for casual local
> > browsing but doesn't help me get at my company's autofs-mounted data.
> > Is there any way to change this behaviour?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Hugh
>
> You did not say which desktop (KDE, gnome, etc.), but in gnome you can
> just start typing the path and a textbox will appear.  BTW:  I'm not
> very fond of the Open Dialog either.

Another problem is that this file dialog may want to access everything
that you have configured in your automounter. E.g. if you mount a lot of
disks under /disks it will mount all of them once you access anything
under /disks . Well, actually (and that's where I get confused) it only
does this when you are NOT running gnome. That's right, on the Gnome
desktop, applications using the GTK2 file dialog only access the disks
you want them to access. Under other desktop environments (KDE, XFCE,
good old twm etc) they seem to want access to all available disks as if
creating a recursive directory tree.
Does anyone know how to change that? What magic daemon is runnimng in
gnome which prevents this bahaviour? I have tested running nautilus in
xfce, but that makes no difference.

David Jansen