[FC3] How to do key remapping on X startup???

VB vboyt at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 17:33:09 UTC 2005

I'm trying to map Caps Lock to Esc on X startup but
everyhwere I've placed the commmand "xmodmap <path to
my home dir>/.Xmodmap" has not taken effect once I've
logged into an X session.  I know the .Xmodmap file is
correct since manually running "xmodmap <path to my
home dir>/.Xmodmap" once I'm in X works. I have
disabled Xkeyboard since the two apparently do not
work well together.

How can I remap keys using xmodmap or xkeyboard
extension??? Nothing seems to work.