dhcp evils

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Apr 17 17:08:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Paul Howarth wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 23:25 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure my setup is supposed to get the
> > hostname through through dhcp.  That is the way
> > it worked when I first managed to connect it
> > to the internet.
> >
> > Ideas anyone?
>
> DHCP gives you an IP address, not a hostname. The hostname then comes
> from doing a reverse lookup of the IP address (usually using DNS, but in
> some environments this might be a hosts file, NIS etc.).

Thanks.

My IP address is 24.117.45.226.
nslookup 24.117.45.226 produces 24-117-45-226.cpe.cableone.net.
hostname produces stmike.
/etc/hosts contains only
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

I that infer my machine has not been getting its hostname through DNS.

Is there a way to ask the system where it did get the hostname?

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death