Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Apr 17 18:40:59 UTC 2005

On Sun April 17 2005 01:23 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Ok, I interpreted your description as to get "error" messages. Use
>
> following in your crontab behind the script command:
> > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> That should suppress the verbose cron activity mailing. Or use MAILTO=""
> at top of your user crontab. But that will suppress any mail normally
> caused by cronjob of that tab.

Well, I tried this, but I probably misunderstood where you intended I put it.
My crontab calls up this script:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail start
gotmail -u [my username] -p [mypassword] -f claude_jones at levitjames.com
--delete
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop

I tried putting your suggested line,  "/dev/null 2>&1" at the top of this
script, an after the second line, but neither of these worked --
Is this the right script? Right position in the script? Or are you speaking of
putting this line in the Perl script? When you say "behind the script
command" I'm not clear what you mean, exactly.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA