How do I configure YUM to work through a proxy?

Jeffrey Buell jbuell at vmware.com
Tue Apr 19 01:25:37 UTC 2005

> My Fedora FCr3 box is on a private network.  So it has no
> direct access to the Internet.  Up2date supports Proxy
> settings.  But up2date now just front ends for YUM or APT.
> RedHat seems to prefer YUM.  That's ok with me but I can't
> figure out how to configure YUM to work through a Proxy.  I
> keep getting timeouts and "server not found" messages.  I
> can't see any YUM settings to support a Proxy.  I have put
> the Proxy settings into "up2date --config".  No joy.  It
> looks like APT supports Proxy servers but that Fedora FCr3
> does not yet support APT.  There is a package to download and
> install (apt-0.5.15cnc6-12.r362.i386.rpm).  So I downloaded
> and installed it.  But there is no "mirrors" list.  Can
> someone put me on the right track here?

I used yum directly to go through a proxy.  I had to do something like this:

http_proxy=http://<proxy>:####/
HTTP_PROXY="$http_proxy"
export http_proxy HTTP_PROXY
ftp_proxy=http://<proxy>:####/
FTP_PROXY="$ftp_proxy"
export ftp_proxy FTP_PROXY

where <proxy> is the name of your proxy server and #### is the port.
Also, take a look at /etc/yum.conf and the repository files in
/etc/yum.repos.d/

Jeff