Modem Conexant D480

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 20 18:13:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:58:22 +0300
"Ozgur GULTEKIN" <gultekin at NETAS.com.tr> wrote:

> Dell 600 laptop uses Conexant D480 modem.  Manufacturer is selling the
> full version driver, limited bandwidth driver is free of charge.

Your options seem to be:

* Yell at Dell for selling you a laptop with poor Linux support.

* Replace the modem card in your laptop with a
better-supported one.  This is possible on some IBM Thinkpads, at least.
My wife's X20 came with a 3Com 56K minipci paperweight that I swapped out
for a supported Lucent modem.  I don't know if this is possible on
your Dell.

* Pay Linuxant their fee.

* Use the crippled drivers Linuxant provides for free and live with it.

* Use a PCMCIA modem.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!