Mini DV and FC3

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Apr 22 14:18:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 23:01 -0400, Kevin Old wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've followed this thread exactly as it states and can't seem to get
> things working.
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-December/msg06925.html
>
> I have a Panasonic PV-GS15 MiniDV camcorder and have a Firewire PCMCIA card
> 0b:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Corporation uPD72874 IEEE1394 OHCI
> 1.1 3-port PHY-Link Ctrlr (rev 01)
>
> I've checked at linux1394.org and it is supported.  I'm trying to
> mount an external harddrive via Firewire (it's in a USB 2.0/Firewire
> enclosure).

Hi Kevin,

>From all of your settings, you should be able to get video content from
the camera over the 1394 interface using, for instance:

  $ dvgrab movie001

although you may need to be root to get the command to work (and of
course you'll need to have dvgrab installed which is described in the
link above).

And I've no experience with 1394-connected hard drives but they should
appear as SCSI devices:

  http://www.linux1394.org/sbp2.php

so take a look in:

  $ more /proc/scsi/scsi

after the drive is connected.  And, if so, then mount it as you would
any other SCSI drive.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD