OT: database advice

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Fri Apr 22 20:18:52 UTC 2005

writing a wikibook 'How to future proof electronic information'.

I'm stuck on several questions, but let me ask this one here.

An important is SQL - but sql is for working _with_ the dataset(s). What
is the format of the _actual data itself_? If I'm recommending selection
criteria for choosing a database I kinda need to understand this bit...

The wikibook in progress, which you are welcome to edit, is at:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_future_proof_electronic_information

Thanks, Duncan