kernel question..

Peter C. Buechler pbuechler at cableone.net
Sun Apr 24 04:00:42 UTC 2005

When I install a new kernel, it goes and edits the grub.conf for me. but
something must have happened while you were installing that interrupted
that process. You just need to add an entry in grub.conf for the new
kernel. For example:

---- this should be three lines, the second one got wrapped -----
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.14_FC3)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.img
Just look at the old 2.6.9 entry to make sure you use the root that is
right for your machine. DO NOT remove the old kernel until you are sure
the new one is working. Read the grub.conf man page to make sure the
default is specified correctly, and to make sure that the advice I am
giving you is correct. Also, if you need to start the old one, you
should be able to press enter when the initial screen is counting down
and choose it from a menu.