DNS resolver - speeding it up, newbie question.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Apr 25 16:11:14 UTC 2005

Barry (BJEast75) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm VERY new to Linux and need some very simple help here. I have turned on the named service on my linux box (hidden in the loft) that mainly sits there being my DNS server and being the a little file server for my home files that me and my girlfriends pc need acess to (thanks to Samba).
>
> All the other pc's in the house use it as their DNS server but the initial requests seem a tad slow compared to using my ISP's dns servers. I suspect that I could turn off a lot of the features/files/settings as all I need it to do is resolve  google.co.uk/bbc.co.uk/blah blah blah.co.uk   so on and so forth. I've tried some tutorials but they seem to be aimed at setting us a DNS server in a way that they are the gate wyat to servers and websites in the network that they're in front of (I hope I've explained whatI mean ok). Please DO NOT assume I know where to find these things or how to do it so any advice needs to be letter for letter.

This may be because the ISP DNS servers are used by lots of people and
quickly build up a cache of the most popular names, so the chances are
that any given lookup that you request can be satisfied straight away
from cache. On the other hand, your DNS server is used only by the
people in your house, so it has to go out and find the answers to your
queries as and when you make the queries. Things should improve when the
system has been running for a while and built up a cache, though it's
still not going to be as good a cache as an ISP server. However, I find
that running my own DNS server is rather more reliable than those of
most ISPs I've been with, so I live with it.

What sort of delays are you seeing by the way?

You might want to try something like:

$ dig www.google.com +trace

to see the chain of DNS lookups for a name (www.google.com in this
case), which may indicate where delays are occurring.

Paul.