Strange NFS problem

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Apr 26 01:17:47 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Weaver" <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 6:59 PM
Subject: Strange NFS problem

> Hi all,
>
> Over the last 5 days I've been troubled with a very strange problem with
> the NFS service that is running my web/mail server. Its an FC3
> installation. For some reason, it just decided to not allow previously
> working shares to be accessible.
>
> There is no firewall running on the machine since it sits on the LAN
> behind a gateway firewall machine. Might anyone have any ideas as to why
> NFS suddenly stopped allowing access to the shares that are being
> exported?
>
> (SElinux is disabled)

There are a couple of things to check.  Does the command exportfs -va cause
the exports to start working?  How about exportfs -vr?

If neither of those work, what does running the two commands get you?

for i in nfs nfslock portmap; do service $i stop; done
for i in portmap nfslock nfs; do service $i start; done

Of course, you want to look in /var/log/messages to see if the kernel is
telling you anything there.

Thomas