network stalls on Fedora Core 3

Keith Fetterman kfetterman at go2marine.com
Tue Apr 26 15:38:55 UTC 2005

David,

I am fairly sure that I have ruled out this problem .  I have tried
different cables, different sockets in the wall and different ports in
the switch.  I have tried different ethernet cards.

The cables were factory made.

I have a working Red Hat Enterprise 3 Linux system sitting next to it.
I've plugged that ethernet cable into the FC3 system.  The FC3 system
still fails.

I replaced the FC3 OS with RHE3.  When RHE3 was running on the same
hardware, I didn't experience the problem.

Is it possible the drivers included with FC3 are more sensitive to
hardware issues, than RHE3 linux?

Thanks,
Keith

David Becker wrote:

> FWIW, are your ethernet cables correctly crimped? EIA/TIA 568A (or B).
>
> If this happens with several ethernet cards with several versions of
> linux then it could be a hardware problem. I've experienced incorrectly
> crimped network cables resulting in stalls for one protocol and not
> (apparently) for others. The behaviour of the protocol may or may not
> hit deficiencies in the way the cable was crimped. This may also apply
> to different TCP/IP/Ethernet implementations.
>
> Is the card operating at 10Mb in windows and a 100Mb in linux?
> Incorrectly crimped cables are very forgiving for 10Mb, but may stall on
> 100Mb speeds. The intel driver is different from the 3com ones.

Keith Fetterman                          206-780-5670
Mariner Supply, Inc.                     kfetterman at go2marine.com
http://www.go2marine.com