FC3 and ATI Digital video

kas kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 27 16:09:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 01:02 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue April 26 2005 06:56 pm, kas wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 11:28 -1000, Angela Kahealani wrote:
> > > Has anyone successfully got an ATI video card driving DVI LCD on FC3?
> >
> > I have a el cheapo Maddog ATI 9250 AGP card driving the DVI port on a
> > Dell 2001FP LCD display.  In order to get it up, I had to make a few
> > additions to my xorg.conf:
> >
> > Section "Device"
> > 	Identifier  "Videocard0"
> > 	Driver      "radeon"
> > 	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
> > 	BoardName   "ATI Radeon 9200PRO"
> > 	Option	    "EnablePageFlip" "true"
> > 	Option	    "AGPSize" "64M"
> > 	Option	    "AGPMode" "2"
> > EndSection

> Karen: I'm curious as to how you arrived at these values, particularly the
> three 'Option' entries. Was that from reading the man xorg.conf or if not, do
> you remember where? My problem is different from yours, and my model is the
> 9200SE, so I'm not sure whether to try these settings or not, and I'd like to
> know more about what they are doing before I try them.
>
> --
> Claude Jones
> Bluemont, VA, USA

Claude,

"man radeon" would be the place to look along with "man xorg.conf".  In
any case, these settings shouldn't be dangerous to your hardware.
AGPMode is simply the 1x,2x,4x,8x speeds you see on AGP card spec sheets
(and 8 isn't a valid parameter here).  My card ought to run at 8x if you
can believe the box, but it will only run at 2x (the "2") with the
radeon driver.  Since the changes worked and the frame rate was high
enough for my occasional dalliance with Tux, I didn't bother to look any
further.

HTH,

Karen