Apt-get equivalent in fedora

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Thu Apr 28 14:29:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 16:32 +0530, Deboo Geek wrote:
> On 4/28/05, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I recommend you ditch up2date and switch to another tool such as yum or
> > apt-get (if you want guis, these are also available such as kyum for yum

> I think I'll install apt-get which I'm more familiar with.

Lots of people prefer yum for Fedora, because it's written in Python.
And there are way many more yum repositories for Fedora. However, I find
apt4rpm perfectly adequate for Fedora.

FYI, only a few Fedora mirrors are apt-enabled. One list is available
from http://www.fedora.us/mirrorlists/

apt-get mirror-select seems to do a decent job, though if the base list
is screwy, there could be problems.

This article describes one way to incorporate apt (or yum) into up2date:
http://www.xades.com/proj/fedora_repos.html

Thanks,
Mike