FC3 - 64 bit on Gigabyte GA-K8NPRO

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Thu Apr 28 15:49:57 UTC 2005

>I'm hoping to do a netork install of FC3 if I can find the
>documentation on how to do that.  Does anyone know where to find it.
>If not I guess I will wait for FC4.  I wish they would put out a DVD
>that works.  Maybe I just have to try all of the mirrors until I find
>the right one.  :(

Here are some instructions I wrote for myself for FC2 Test2, but I
believe they are still accurate.
=================================
How to install Linux without swapping CD’s during the install.

Use these instructions to built a boot cdrom using the Fedora Disc1
CD-ROM. That CD-ROM contains the isolinux directory that contains all
the boot information.
i.e.
mkdir junk
mount /mnt/cdrom        # Mount the disc1 cd-rom for Fedora Core whatever.
cp -r /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/ junk
cd junk
chmod u+w isolinux/*
mkisofs -o file.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot
boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T isolinux/
cd ..
cdburn ./junk # Use whatever method you want to actually burn the CD.
rm -rf junk

The file.iso was burned onto a CD-ROM just like any other iso file,
resulting in a bootable Linux install CD-ROM.

Boot that CD-ROM in a box that needs a Linux install.
When given an oppoprtunity, key in
     linux askmethod graphical
to start the actual installation process. The “askmethod” option will
cause the installer to supply a screen providing options for several
methods.
I chose FTP.
By filling in the screens that pop up, the installer will use the ISO’s
stored on an FTP server as the installation media. I specified the ftp
location as /download/fedora/fc3/disc1 on the ftp server. BUT I DIDN’T
HIT THE FINAL OK TO ACTUALLY START THE INSTALLATION GOING, BECAUSE .....

The installer wants to see CD-ROM equivalents under directories named
disc1, disc2, ... disc4 and not the raw ISO file names. Therefore,
before hitting the final OK on the machine doing the install, I switched
over to the ftp server and did the following:

cd /download/fedora/fc3
mkdir disc1 disc2 disc3 disc4
mount -o loop FC3-blah-blah-disc1.iso disc1
mount -o loop FC3-blah-blah-disc2.iso disc2
mount -o loop FC3-blah-blah-disc3.iso disc3
mount -o loop FC3-blah-blah-disc4.iso disc4

That mounted the iso images at the specified mount points without
actually exploding each iso, providing the structure that the installer
wants. Then I went back to the box doing the installation, and hit the
OK to start the install. From that point on, everything is normal except
that it won’t ask for any CD-ROM mounts because it will get everything
via ftp.

When the install is finished, the loop mounts can be unmounted, and the
disc* directories can be removed.

I hope that helps.

--
Bill Gradwohl