2GB limit on samba and nfs?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 28 21:09:58 UTC 2005

Guy Fraser wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-28-04 at 13:56 -0500, Debbie Tropiano wrote:
>
>>Mike -
>>
>>Did you ever get a resolution for this?  We're seeing similar problems
>>with two of our FC2 systems (2.6.6 kernel) interacting with each other
>>via NFS and/or with other systems (including Solaris).  Our testing
>>shows that it's only a problem on two (of our five FC2 systems) and one
>>of them has a 3ware RAID card (the Escalade, not the newer 9000 series)
>>so I'm not sure if that's a factor.
>>
>>Could it be an NFS setting somewhere (the systems were installed from
>>the same media and should be setup very close to the same).
>>
>>We're pretty baffled by this problem, so any advice would be appreciated.
>>

> I regularly send files over 3GB to my FC3 machine running Samba.
> I am unable to send files over 4GB. For larger files I had been
> using an external Firewire drive formated with NTFS, but recently
> got "Putty" for my Windows machine and am using the SCP client
> {pscp} to transfer the files now.

I think Windows (and hence Samba) shares are limited to 4GB because of
the 32-bit file pointer issue (using an int rather than a off_t).  On
Linux, this limits programs to a 2GB file size, because it's a signed
int (2^31 = 2G).  On Windows, I think they treat it as an unsigned int
(2^32 = 4G).

Not all programs suffer from this--it depends on how they were built.
Apache, for example, has this issue with its log files.  Why they
haven't fixed it yet, I don't know.  It ain't rocket science.
-  Diplomacy: The art of saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a   -
-                            big enough rock.                        -