Install FC3 on SATA

Scott Pearson pearsonscott2 at qwest.net
Fri Apr 29 16:21:11 UTC 2005

mayuresh patole wrote:

>Sir,
>I have winXP installed on one partition and second
>partition is fat32 partition which is 100% free
>I wan't to install FC3 on that partition.
>When I tried doing that it gives me error that
>"No hard disk present"
>please help me
>I have Athlon64 3200+ processor
>MSI RS480M2 motherboard
>Seagate sil3112 SATA 80GB hard disk
>

>--Mayuresh Patole
>
>--- Scott Pearson <pearsonscott2 at qwest.net> wrote:
>

>>Don't know about FC3, but the first Fedora release
>>you needed to format your SATA drive first before
>>

>Fedora would recognize it.   Since I was,
>

>>and still am, running a dual boot Linux/Win2k
>>machine,  it was no problem to format it using
>>

>Windows back then, which the gentleman you
>

>>are replying to apparently has done, as he appears
>>to be replacing or  trying to replace WinXP with
>>

>Linux.  You may need to use something else
>

>>to format it if you don't have access to a Win box
>>to do it with.  There are a variety of tools out
>>

>there to do that.  How many are free I don't
>

>>know.
>>

>S.Pearson

>http://mail.yahoo.com

 From googling around the net --

1)  Got any USB devices connected to your PC?  If so, disconnect them.
Some versions of Fedora have problems with USB devices.  Why, I don't
know.  I bumped into this jproblem with Fedora Core 2 64-bit.

2)  Are you installing it on a separate hard drive or a second partition
on one drive?  People have reported problems trying to get Fedora
installed on a second partition with Windows on another partition when
both partitions are on a single hard drive.  A separate hard drive for
each OS is usually considered the most trouble-free way of dual-booting
a machine.

3) I just checked the website for your board.  Warning number 1) -- Not
all MSI boards can support Linux.  Warning number 2)  Your particular
board uses ATI chipset drivers.   These may not be supported by Linux,
or at least Fedora, yet.  You may need to email MSI's tech support to
find out if you can run Linux on your board.  You may be out of luck
with that board and unable to run any version of Linux on it.  It's a
new board, and I suspect that these ATI chipset drivers may be ATI's
first foray into chipsets for motherboards, so they may be too new to be
included in any Linux distribution yet.  Like I said, you will need to
contact your motherboard manufacturer to find out for certain one way or
the other.

Hope this helps.