2 hard disks and formatting

Ninad Bapat freeninad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:11:05 UTC 2005

Hi

I have 2 hdds both 40gb. ( Say D1 and D2) I have 2 pc's (say P1 and P2)
P1- new with P4,256mb ram CDR/DVD combo drive etc.and D1 is connected here
P2 old IBM branded celeron 500 64 mb RAM 52x CD ROM drive BIOS does not
support CD booting and D2 is connected here
The P1 pc boots XP and FC3 as XP is used by my brother. Also I have
installed 2 more distros on this.

As the P2 pc does not have a FDD and CD boot is not possible I was not able
to load any distros except ubuntu so it was lying idle for some time
I removed D2 from the old PC P2 and connected in the P1 Pc
The P1 Pc is detecting it as Primary master and Primary slave.
Even FC3 recognises it as hdb.

My problems
1.I do not remember what filesystem I have created on D2 although FC3 shows
some partitions. I am unable to mount them.
2. Sometimes after booting FC3 or even Slackware when I run dmesg I get some
errors of DisK_read io error
3.How do i format D2 and create partitions on the same
4.My D2 is showing as 32gb even though it is 40 gb. Can this be resolved by
formatting it new

Thanks and regards

Ninad Bapat