FC installation doesn't work

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 2 08:16:31 UTC 2005

Juan wrote:
> Thank you very much for your answers gentlemen.
> The problem was solved changing the video card.
> Scott's e-mail arrived just a tad late when I had already formatted the
> hd. I believe that that is the answer. The video card I had was a Trident.
> Thanks again.
>
> Juan

Just to chime in here. I had that problem with the Trident myself. In my
case, the unit being a notebook, I did not have the luxury of swapping
it out.

I've had it running in vesa mode for while now (even that had it's
problems initially I won't go in to), but always would have preferred it
running with it's native driver.

At the time no-one seemed to have the answer apart from the fact I was
told "It should work".

After reading this thread, downloading the old vgahw.a to replace my FC4
  one, and changing the driver from vesa to trident again in my
xorg.conf, it worked first go!!!

Man, it pays to be on this list!!!

Is it worth lodging this bug somewhere? It is a pain in the backside if
you don't know the fix...

Regards,
Ed.