FC installation doesn't work

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 10:51:22 UTC 2005

Edward Dekkers wrote:

> Juan wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much for your answers gentlemen.
>> The problem was solved changing the video card.
>> Scott's e-mail arrived just a tad late when I had already formatted
>> the hd. I believe that that is the answer. The video card I had was a
>> Trident.
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Juan
>>

> Just to chime in here. I had that problem with the Trident myself. In
> my case, the unit being a notebook, I did not have the luxury of
> swapping it out.
>
> I've had it running in vesa mode for while now (even that had it's
> problems initially I won't go in to), but always would have preferred
> it running with it's native driver.
>
> At the time no-one seemed to have the answer apart from the fact I was
> told "It should work".
>
> After reading this thread, downloading the old vgahw.a to replace my
> FC4  one, and changing the driver from vesa to trident again in my
> xorg.conf, it worked first go!!!
>
> Man, it pays to be on this list!!!
>
> Is it worth lodging this bug somewhere? It is a pain in the backside
> if you don't know the fix...
>
> Regards,
> Ed.

There is help on the way for getting X up and running without needing to
replace binary components. In the below link are rpms compiled with
later gcc versions which need testing to see if it clears all the
problems that happened when FC4 was released. The fix with replacing the
file works fine now if you would rather wait for an update to FC4 to
come out.

http://people.redhat.com/krh/xorg-x11-6.8.2-45/i386/

This list is very helpful to get things up and running. Some of the
items discussed help out when problems arise down the road.

Jim

--
I'm sorry a pentium won't do, you need an SGI to connect with us.