cannot install Redhat Linux

Hongyu Sun sun.hongyu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 13:33:19 UTC 2005

HI, All:

I downloaded and burned 4 CDs from
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html.

Then I tried to install Linux to my WinXP desktop machine. I have 10GB
on this machine which is pre-allocated for Linux before I install the
WinXP. Windows cannot see this 10GB.

I have been frustrated with installation. I have installed several
times. But each time when I restart, I enter in Windows. I cannot see
any trace of Linux.

I have some questions on the installation. The automatic partition
does not work. And I had to use manual partition. Since I have that
10GB. I just chose it and mount it as "\" (root). Since a root is
required. I cannot partition the suggested swap disk. It just does not
work for me. I don't know what format I should format the disk. But
the only one working is "ext3".

Another question is how to set the double boot mode? It seems in the
installation I set up this. But it just does not work at all.

Finally it said the installation is complete and I can reboot. But I
am entered to Windows again.

I cannot find any documentation on the installation. Somebody told me,
Redhat is good for beginners. But I still cannot follow.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

HS