script/command for taking automatic backup of mysql database

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 2 13:39:24 UTC 2005

ankush,

i wasn't aware that mysql 'allowed' you to access the mysql db/table using
an 'encrypted' passwd. furthermore, i'm not sure that this would get you
where you want to go anyway. you seem to want to set up a process to allow
the db/table to be backed up. to do this, mysql requires the use of the
username/passwd. you hope to provide an encrypted passwd, to allow your
process to work. but if mysql allowed this, then wouldn't someone be able to
still access your mysql db/table in the same manner????

so, either way, you need to provide a 'passwd' in a manner that someone with
the appropriate access privs will unfortunately still be able to see. you're
not the 1st to want to accomplish this, so i would imagine that there are
various methods to accomplish this.

check the mysql website, or post this question to the mysql email list if
you haven't already. i'm pretty sure you'll get your answer fairly quickly!

-bruce