Newbie: Writing console messages to a file FC2 2.6.5

Clive at Rational clive at rational-communications.com
Tue Aug 2 20:12:24 UTC 2005

> Clive at Rational wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >     I have an unreliable FC2 / 2.6.5 kernel
> machine. I
> > am running it as a file server. From time to time
> the
> > machine "hangs" or puts out lots of messages of
> the
> > form
> >

> [snip]
>
> I also run FC2, so as you can see, I understand your
> reluctance. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But
> you appear to be "broke".
>
> What is your reluctance to use up2date? I'm running
> 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 so you are really behind, even as
> FC2.
> If a new kernel doesn't help, the way up2date works
> it's easy to roll back (at least with GRUB).
>
> Mike
> --

Thanks for the response.

The problem is "bigger" than I described in that I
have tried various levels of FC2 (latest kernels) and
FC3 up to 2.6.10 kernel. Of those the most stable
(longest time between "crashes" = 1 day) is the FC2
2.6.5 kernel. However, today the crashing seems to
occur within 30 miunutes. Maybe it is a hardware
problem but I have no idea how to isolate. I feel I
really need to capture those messages that appear on
the console.

Worse than the problems I experience now at 2.6.5, the
machine experiences lock-ups within minutes of
starting an X-session either locally or through VNC.
Hence I run in command-line, level 3.

My "best" stability has been found by regressing all
the way to FC2 2.6.5 and run-level 3 (no X-sessions).
I am trying to run the machine in its "simplest" form
to try and isolate the problem as Gnome / X / video
driver / application / hardware / whatever / whatever.

I seem to be no closer to isolating the problem and it
is really frustrating.

I made the change to syslog.conf to write the kernel
messages to /var/log/CRL-console.log. This works - in
that kernel messages are being written to the file -
but when the crash / kernel-panic(?) occurs, the error
messages I am interested in still appear on the
console. So I am no closer to trapping these error
messages so I can post them and and at least try to
solve the first problem - why is the machine so
unstable even though it is running in a "reduced"
state?

I really want to run X as I find it easier to
administer the system using those type of tools - I
just don't have the knowledge to operate a machine
through the command-line. But for now I just want to
get a stable , simple file server, then move on. If I
could "prove" it is the hardware I'll trash the
machine. This is maddening.

Thanks

Clive