help on latex

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 2 20:56:14 UTC 2005

Bob Taylor wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 14:48 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:

>>Pushparaj Shetty wrote:

<snip>

>> > The documentclass does not  support the psfig , which is essential for
>> > including figures.
>> > It gives the following error message:
>> >
>> > ! Undefined control sequence.
>> > <argument> \psfig
>> >
>> > It worked fine in redhat 9.0.
>> > Please tell me how to get the same latex as in RedHat linux 9.0.

>>I could only find <http://www.lbl.gov/ICSD/CIS/UNIX/TeX/psfig.html>,
>>which talks about documentstyle, so quite old.

>>Is that what you're doing?  I also note that my MikTeX (Windows atm)
>>doesn't have psfig installed by default, nor is it in the LaTeX users
>>guide.  Is there any reason you can't use the graphicx package instead?
>>(This appears to have superseeded the graphics package mentioned in
>>the LaTeX user's guide 2nd edition, psfig is nowhere mentioned in that
>>book)

> In FC3, psfig.sty is in "/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/misc/psfig.sty"
> while graphics.sty and graphicx.sty are in
> "/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics". All 3 are in the basic tex rpm. I
> would presume they are in the same package in FC4.

Yes, it's on my FC3 tetex too, and CTAN, so without looking through the
FC4 rpm itself I'd assume it is there.  A test document worked using the
2e \usepackage idiom, so I'd suggest the OP try that.  The following
does suggest that, while not obsolete, it is probably better to use
graphicx than psfig:
<http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=impgraph>

--
imalone