More and more yum dependency problems

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Aug 3 06:52:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 17:19 -0500, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 8/2/05, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > I think you *can* install i386 and x86_64 versions of just about
> > anything at the same time, as long as they're the exact same
> > epoch-version-release (not that it's a good idea). You're certainly
>
> I really doubt it.  Remember, my comments were *only* about programs,
> not libraries, and about using RPM (or yum) to install.  You can
> install 32-bit and 64-bit libraries at the same time, and they need
> not be the same version.  But most of the time programs will have
> something that they put in /usr/bin so that they are in the PATH,
> which would conflict between the two versions.  For instance, look at
> when the OP tried to install mozilla.i386.  It told him that the file
> /usr/bin/mozilla conflicted.  The man pages also conflicted, as
> happened earlier with the Perl package I mentioned in my last email.
> Of course, these are only problems with using RPM packages.  You could
> certainly get a 32-bit version in just a tar ball form and install it
> somewhere else.  And there is no reason to have the same version as a
> 64-bit version long as you have all the right 32-bit libs installed.

My understanding of the way Fedora multilib support works is that rpm
will allow you to simultaneously install .i386 and .x86_64 versions of
exactly the same package and it won't complain about file conflicts - it
just ignores the .i386 versions of conflicting files. This is how it was
possible for .i386 and .x86_64 versions of perl to coexist in FC3. If
you then try to update one but not the other, it breaks because the
epoch/version/release numbers aren't the same and the file conflicts are
no longer ignored.

The OP's file conflicts were:
   file /usr/bin/mozilla from install of
mozilla-1.7.10-1.5.1 conflicts with file from package mozilla-1.7.8-2
  file /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla.1.gz from install of
mozilla-1.7.10-1.5.1 conflicts with file from package mozilla-1.7.8-2

Different versions/releases, so that's why there was a conflict.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>