Blacklist & Whilelist IP's from server?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Aug 3 15:38:41 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 03.08.2005 schrieb Lonnie um 14:22:

> I have a Fedora 3 server up and running and I have noticed various IP's
> in my logs trying to hack SSH, APACHE, or email for example and even
> though I am running the built-in firewall through the "setup" program, I
> would like to know if there is some additional application that I can
> add that I can blacklist, and whilelist IP from connecting to my server
> at all?

> Lonnie

For applications where PAM auth is involved I recommend to have a look
at pam_abl: http://www.hexten.net/sw/pam_abl/. It is available through
Fedora Extras ( 3 + 4). A bit biased, as I am maintaining the package ;)
For application independent blocking I feel psad is worth a close look:
http://www.cipherdyne.com/psad/. I used it in past. If you know
"portsentry", psad is the better alternative (see the comparison of
those 2 on the psad page).

Alexander

Serendipity 17:32:57 up 18 days, 22:05, load average: 0.21, 0.29, 0.24