VMware and kernel 2.6.12

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Wed Aug 3 17:03:37 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 10:44, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Hi, people
>
> Has anyone successfully installed VMware 5 WITH networking on kernel
> 2.6.12? I had it working flawlessly on many releases of kernel 2.6.11,
> but can't get it to work on 2.6.12. I've tried on FC3 and FC4 with the
> same results.
> After running vmware-config.pl, vmnet0 (bridged) won't start. After
> that, any attempt to re-run vmware-config.pl causes it to freeze. If I
> reboot the computer, running vmware displays a message stating it has
> not been configured for the running kernel and if I run vmware-config.pl
> again, I'm back to the beginning (vmnet0 won't start).
> If I do not install networking support when running vmware-config.pl,
> vmware works ok (without any kind of networking, of course).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo

Hi Marcelo ;

I just got it working today on FC3 running kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3. Here's
what I did:

1) I removed all remnants of Vmware (rpm -e VMwareWorkstation-5.0.0-13124)
2) I installed the vmware v5 rpm (rpm -ihv VMwareWorkstation-5.0.0-13124)
3) I downloaded the latest any-any patch from http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/
(download the  vmware-any-any-update93.tar.gz file)
4) I untar'd the file (tar -xzvf  vmware-any-any-update93.tar.gz)
5) Next I ran the patch (./vmware-any-any-update93/runme.pl) When I was
prompted if I want the script to start the /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl script
for me I choose NO because the first run through I said yes and it caused
lots of problems starting with a hung process and ending with removing vmware
and starting over.
6) then I ran /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl from the command line myself
7) I choose to allow bridget networking to eth0, no NAT networking and no host
only networking.

It works fine. The only bit I wish I could make work is networking via my
wireless connection (eth1). If anyone knows how to do this I would be
grateful for any advice....

Hope this helps...

/Kevin