True type fonts and FC4

Benjamin Duehring fedora at lyxx.de
Wed Aug 3 17:17:33 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 19:05, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I have almost 400 true type fonts that I've been using for years, since
> when I was a Windows user. I've been installed them successfully in
> every Linux distribution I've installed so far, including FC3. However,
> when I install them on FC4 (using KDE Control Center), no application
> (except OpenOffice) "sees" the fonts. OpenOffice sees them, but they
> display horribly, kind of low resolution, and the characters are so
> close from each other that they overlap. Firefox does'nt see the fonts,
> nor any other application.
> I tried to remove them and install manually (copied them to a directory,
> included it on X fonts path using chkfontpath, run fc-cache, ttmkfdir
> and mkfontdir, restarted xfs). No difference.
> For last, I've downloaded a RPM package with MS true type core fonts and
> tried to install it. Right after the installation, everything seemed ok,
> although I don't know what the rpm did that I didn't. However, after the
> first reboot, the same things happens: no application sees the fonts,
> except OpenOffice, in which they display wrong.
> If I install the fonts directly in OpenOffice (copying or linking them
> into oodir/share/fonts/truetype), they display ok in OOo, but obviously
> are not available for other applications.
> Anybody knows what may be happening?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo

Have a look at the file  /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. There are the system wide directories which are searched for fonts. It should say something like
       <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
        <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
So, just drop your fonts inside one of these directories and run fc-cache inside it. Make also sure that your fonts have the right permissions (readable by all users).
The command fc-list should list your new fonts then.

Benjamin Duehring, FORWISS|
Universitaet Passau       | Priv. e-mail : duehring at forwiss.uni-passau.de
D-94030 Passau            | WWW          : http://www.lyxx.de/card