making Samba work [not yet, it turns out]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Aug 4 01:37:46 UTC 2005

On Wed August 3 2005 3:36 pm, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Hi
>
> After all said and done, here are my experiences:
>
> 1. Do not trust microsoft with the master browser negotiation.  Choose one
> of your linux boxes to be the browser master and domain master
>
> Like this
>
> from smb.conf
> [global]
> 	workgroup=yourworkgroup
> 	hosts allow=192.168.0. 192.168.0.254
> 	remote browse sync = 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.254
> 	remote announce = 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.254
> 	local master=yes
> 	domain master=yes
> 	wins support=yes
>
> That wins support is important if you're to talk with windows computers!
>
> Do a service smb restart, then go to one of your windows boxes.
>
> open cmd.exe
> type ipconfig /renew
> exit
> then explore the local network.   You should see the box you just
> configured.

It gets more and more confusing. Per yours and Alexander's suggestions here is
my smb.conf -

[global]
workgroup=workgroup
hosts allow = 192.168.2., 127.
local master=yes
domain master=yes
os level = 65
wins support=yes
ldap ssl = No
restrict anonymous = no
server string = Samba
max protocol = NT
server signing = Disabled
interfaces = 192.168.2.1 127.0.0.1
security = share
netbios name = VRPRODUCTIONS2

[CJ home]
case sensitive = no
guest ok = yes
msdfs proxy = no
read only = no
path = /home/cj

I left out the remote browse and remote sync parts of your suggestion, because
I'm only traversing a single lan; if I read the documentation correctly on
those entries, they are for dealing with multiple lans - hope I got that
right. Now, both Windows machines see the shared folder on my FC box after
running the ipconfig /release then /renew commands on both. If I type smb:/
in my konqueror browser, my FC box sees the workgroup. If I click on the
workgroup, the three machines appear; on the FC machine, I can browse into
the shared folder; on the wife's Windows laptop, I can see both drives, and
they are browseable; on the second Windows machine, StudyPC, if I select it,
there's a long pause, and then an error. HOWEVER, if I enter the IP address
of that machine after smb://  then I get in. Is this a WINS problem? Is there
something further I must do to configure WINS?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA