CD mount problem after DVD rip

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 4 14:35:10 UTC 2005

jim branagan wrote:
> I used to be able to write and rip audio CD's, with cdda2wav and
> cdrecord, and write data CD's with xcdroast, and to mount data CD's and
> open them to copy out contents.  I am using a Memorex CD-writer/DVD-rom
> drive.
>
> The other day I mounted and read data from a data DVD.
>
> Now I can't rip, write or mount CD's anymore.

What you describe looks like somebody lost track of the
"process using device count". It thinks that there is
a process whose working directory is on that disc, or that
some process has the disc open. I have noticed (FC2) a
tendency in this direction. AFAICT, it requires a reboot
to free that up.

I'm careful not to kill xterms (or gnome-terms) by clicking
on the [X] in the right hand corner any more, as this can
certainly (again, FC2) result in what you experience. It's
frustrating not being able to remove a floppy disc. I have
a pretty active sneakernet here, and have learned the hard
way.

YMMV

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.