Sendmail AUTH

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Aug 4 15:47:20 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 04.08.2005 schrieb Justin Willmert um 17:40:

Please do not top-post and quote the full previous mail unstripped.

> OK, I tried one more alternative, and it worked for some reason. I
> changed /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd so that the 'MECH' line equaled 'pam'
> instead of 'shadow'. Then I changed /usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf to
> equal 'saslauthd' instead of 'pam'. I tried it with this system, and it
> worked.

Please see the reply I just sent out. You corrected your setup. The MECH
change is not required, but possible.

> Now I'd like to know *why* doesn't the Sendmail.conf file work alone if
> so many of the sites I've looked over only mentioned Sendmail.conf,
> never once hitting on the idea of saslauthd file. I've only found one
> site that suggested the method that worked for me. Could somebody tell
> me a reason, and if nobody can get me a reason, should this be reported
> as a bug to Bugzilla?

The sites you found in www are older and just reflect the old SASL
version 1.5. SASL version 2 changed. It is NO bug! SASLv2 requires
Sendmail.conf (or smtpd.conf for Postfix) to be set to either
pwcheck_method=saslauthd or pwcheck_method=auxprop.

> Justin

Alexander

Serendipity 17:43:33 up 19 days, 22:16, load average: 0.23, 0.22, 0.15