Tape backup using tar

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 4 15:55:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Stuart Bailey wrote:

>> It would also help us if you sent a sample of the command you used to
>> start tar to do the backup.  Usually with tar you need to specify the
>> -f /dev/nst0 or simular to backup to the drive.  You do have to
>> replace the /dev/nst0 with the device name for your tape drive.
> Sorry, I'm using:
> tar -cvf /dev/st0 <files list>

tar has a key problem for backing up hard-disks, not all flavors of tar
support files greater than 2GB.

Once your device node issue gets solved you might consider using cpio
whose c style header will work for those cases.

a sample cpio command line might look like:

  find -x . -print|cpio -oavB -H newc > /dev/st0

that stays on the the current filesystem.

removing the -x makes it do the whole tree if there are filesystems
attached to sub-directories

If you want a bigger block size to make your tape streamer go faster
remove the B and do --block-size=512 (256K) 1024 (512k) or 2048 (1MB)

if you want to bzip it:

find -x . -print|cpio -oavB -H newc | bzip2 -9 > /dev/st0

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu