Building drivers from scratch

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Thu Aug 4 17:22:55 UTC 2005

Josh Utter wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Just opening the door to the Linux world, and since I'm doing so with
> a specific goal in mind (as opposed to just letting my curiosity carry
> me) I am hoping to get some direction.  I have device in mind that I'd
> like to build which would interface with my computer, so I'm wondering
> what books I might want to start with to learn how to make drivers
> from scratch (USB, but I'm not certain yet).  Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> - josh

"Linux Device Drivers" ISBN 1-56592-292-1 from, O'Reilly & Associates
(oreilly.com) is a decent read. You'll need an understanding of C and
some background in Unix system calls though. All programs in the book
are available at: ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/linux/drivers/ :-)
BTW, you may want to check with your local Public Library for this book.

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.