Tape backup using tar

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Aug 4 19:42:57 UTC 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 12:49, Stuart Bailey wrote:

>> >(GNU tar) 1.14
>>
>> Bingo!
>>
>> tar has a rather spotted history, and 1.14 is known on the amanda
>> list to be broken. 1.13-19, 1.13-25, and 1.15-1 are kown to work
>> correctly. 1.13 plain is busted, and 1.14 only lasted a month or
>> two. Nuke it, and go get either the older 1.13-25, or 1.15-1.
>
>Do you know if this will become a yum update?
>
>Stuart.

Sorry Stuart, but I'll have to plead NDI on that.  The thing that
surprises me is howinhell did it get into the FC4 distro in the first
place?  Its the old, somebody saw it was newer so it must be better
syndrome, but they didn't look hard enough for even newer stuff on
gnu.org.  My point is that 1.15-1 has been out, fixing the problems
for something like 8+ months, so I'm totally puzzled, in the dark, as
to how a known broken tar package got into FC4.

So to the Fedora PTB, (similar to TPTB) I say please fix this asap.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)