Using more than 2GB for user space processes

Brian spatuality at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 4 22:41:09 UTC 2005

Hello list,

I have searched the lists but I don't see a clear
answer to running MySQL on a 32-bit Linux server with
more than 2gb allocated to innodb_buffer_pool_size.

Here are the details, and any help or direction to the
right resources would be really appreciated.

Server is 32-bit and has 4GB RAM and 2GB swap
OS is FC2
Kernel is 2.6.9-1.9_FC2hugemem #1 SMP Mon Dec 13
01:31:08 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
MySQL tried is MySQL-server-4.1.12-1 and
MySQL-server-4.1.13-0 from binary RPM's from
mysql.org.

# ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) 32
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 10240
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 61436
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

With the following set, the server works fine:
innodb_buffer_pool_size = 1700M

When I change this to anything above 2000M it fails
with the following error message:
050804 19:11:27  mysqld started
050804 19:11:28 [Warning] Asked for 196608 thread
stack, but got 126976
050804 19:11:29  InnoDB: Error: cannot allocate
2411741184 bytes of
InnoDB: memory with malloc! Total allocated memory
InnoDB: by InnoDB 34049176 bytes. Operating system
errno: 12
InnoDB: Check if you should increase the swap file or
InnoDB: ulimits of your operating system.
InnoDB: On FreeBSD check you have compiled the OS with
InnoDB: a big enough maximum process size.
InnoDB: We keep retrying the allocation for 60
seconds...

I also have a test machine (though with 1GB RAM and
4.5GB swap) running RHEL4 with the following kernel
returning the exact same problem:

2.6.9-11.ELhugemem #1 SMP Wed Jun 8 18:47:48 CDT 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

>From the release notes, the stock FC2 kernel should
allocate 3GB/1GB by default for userspace processes?
This does not happen on my machines.

In the case of the hugemem kernels, the release notes
indicate user space processes can allocate upto 4GB if
it is available. I am not seeing this work either.

Anyone have this working at their site or have any
insight to this?

Brian