making Samba work [not yet, it turns out]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Aug 5 13:50:10 UTC 2005

On Friday 05 August 2005 9:36 am, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Besides the previous configuration problems, when you change resolv.conf,
> you need to restart your network services.
>
> /sbin/service network restart
>
> to have it applied.
>
> How about giving a fixed ip to studypc and putting it in the hosts file of
> the boxes?
>
> Also, I have had the stuff as well with xp refusing access to shares that
> are configured to be accessable without password.  The cure for that was to
> put a password on the account, and use that in samba to connect to the
> windows box.

I don't have a problem with giving StudyPC a fixed IP. It's a permanent box.
I'm just hell-bent on trying to understand why this is happenning. I did
restart network services several times during all these trouble shooting
sessions, so I don't think that's it. For some reason, when SMB does a look
around the network, it's finding the StudyPC, but then it proceeds to do a
DNS search on the internet for that name, instead of resolving it to the
local IP address. I've spent so much time on this now, that I'm determined to
figure out why this is happenning. Could this be something lingering in
cache? I've been trying to read up on DNS caching this morning, but I had to
leave before I got very far. In reading up on Samba, I have learned many
things about Windows networking, and the axiomatic flaws that were built in
very early, that have been passed on from version to version. It makes for
interesting reading. But, people have gotten around these shortcomings, and
made this all work, so I should be able to, also. Thanks for your
suggestions.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA