Updating via the web

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 5 14:15:43 UTC 2005

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> Let's see... 4 CD's... that is about 2.5GB and that is roughly
> 2,684,354,560 bytes. Now, your modem is 56Kbits per second. That is
> roughly 5.5Kbytes per second or 5,632 Bytes per second.
>
> If we divide the amount of data by the transfer rate we get... hold
> on... <pencil scratching noises> ... 476,625 seconds to do the download.
> Rounding to a whole hour that is 132 hours or 5.5 days! (assuming you
> don't need your phone for anything else and that the files actually
> arrive uncorrupted)

Doesn't sound so bad to me. Using wget -c URL_TO_GET at night, and
running from, say, 10:00 pm to 6:00 am (8 hours per day) that would
take two weeks. While asleep. I believe that one can upgrade from
just the ISOs without burning CDs, nicht wahr? I've never had a problem
with corruption. I find wget to be wonderful. Except that it reports as
ETA (which should mean Estimated Time of Arrival) what is really
ETC (which means Estimated Time to Completion). But that is a very
minor nitpick.

I download 'em, but I have ADSL running around 890Kbps. It takes me
less than 12 hours to download the lot.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.