Use up2date vs yum - why?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Aug 5 15:06:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 09:29:20AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I use FC2, so the question is resolved for me. But I suppose
> I'll eventually go to a later version. While it was available
> for me, I used up2date, with the little icon on the "taskbar"
> (or whatever it's called in FC). I had no problems with it.
> In fact, it appears to be a GUI to yum.
>
> So, why do I see messages here promoting yum over up2date?
> IOW, what advantage does yum have for someone simply wanting
> to update his packages?
>
> Mike
It is a matter of taste. Since you have discovered it is really the
same program I would choose the on that suits your temperament.
I have a colleague who like me has recently gotten the internet in her
home. We discussed how to sent mail. I told her Evolution works well
she said she is willing only to consider command line programs.
Tastes differ,

The computing field is always in need of new cliches.
		-- Alan Perlis
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University