US Federal Government to require MSIE for copyright preregistration

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Aug 5 15:27:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
>> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 09:33 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>>
>>> Erm, I believe it was in the EU that Microsoft got convicted, not
>>> in the USA.
>>

>> They were convicted in the USA _first_ then in the _EU_ as well.
>
> Define convicted. They agreed to pay a fine without admitting any
> wrong doing. At most, it would be a tort, anyway, not a conviction.

Violations of the sherman antitrust act (things like price fixing and
market allocation) can be crimnally prosecuted (by the justice dept, the
ftc an bring civil action).

the june 7, 2000 court ordered break-up was a fairly severe penalty, but
it was later set aside. they were found guilty on april 3 2000, and their
guilt wasn't called into question in the 2001 settlement with the justice
dept...

the more interesting bits of conviction can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/business/2000/microsoft/700702.stm

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu