making Samba work [not yet, it turns out]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Aug 5 15:51:50 UTC 2005

On Friday 05 August 2005 10:33 am, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > file:///var/log/samba/192.168.2.101.log
> > file:///var/log/samba/192.168.2.252.log
> > file:///var/log/samba/192.168.2.254.log
>
> From log list: 192.168.2.1 was 192.168.0.101 before, or where does that
> IP come from?

That's actually my housemate's machine. I haven't discussed that machine,
because it's only using my firewall for routing to the interenet. There's no
intention to network it locally.
>..........snip.............long nmbd log
> The above log look proper to me. Is "VRPRODUCTIONS2" the netbios name of
> the "Linuxbox"? I am missing the "Studybox" name query.

VRPRODUCTIONS2 is the FC4 box, shortened to less than 15 characters, per your
previous suggestion.
I meant to mention about the missing StudyPC query... That's an anomaly. If I
open Konqueror and type in "smb:/", my workgroup appears in the window. If I
click on that, the three computers appear, Julimobile, StudyPC, and
VRPRODUCTIONS2; if I click on StudyPC, I get a long pregnant pause, then a
"Can't connect" error (I'll get the precise text later); if I click on either
of the other two machines, I get lists of shares that I can browse. On the
other hand, if I enter "smb://192.168.2.252, then I get a list of the shares
on StudioPc

> It is mostly ever a good thing to post the exact error string, rather
> than saying "an error appeared" ;)

Ok - I'll have to do that tonight.

> .................................................... it may be reasonable to
> start from scratch? I mean, stop Samba, remove all Samba logs, review
> smb.conf and strip it down to just the basic needs, review your network
> setup (IPs given, DHCP, DNS, machine names, /etc/hosts files, Windows®
> network settings, firewalling) and then start just using 2 machines:
> Samba and 1 single client host.

That's a thought. I have to be careful, I'm serving as router for several
machines, including a housemate who lives downstairs. My wife works at home a
lot, and manages websites from there. Everything I do has to be done from the
standpoint of not jeopardizing the network. When I have to take the network
down, I do it at 3 am, when everyone is sleeping. I suppose I could try what
you suggest, but, I want to continue in my present mode for awhile. It's a
useful exercise that's teaching me a lot of things - thanks for all your
suggestions.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA