US Federal Government to require MSIE for copyright preregistration

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 16:34:37 UTC 2005

On 8/5/05, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> On Linux?  Can you provide the link please.
>
> After all, this is a linux list.  ;)
>
> Robin Laing

I think that he is refering to the Mad Dog version of Firefox, which
has limited activeX controls. Apparantly, you can update windows with
it. However, in my experience with it to browse IE-only websites, it
had no effect. Same stupid limitations.

What really gets me is the fact that code does not have to 'support'
any browser! It has to be standards-compliant, and assuming that the
user is using a standars-compliant web browser, she will be able to
use the site. This adding-in of IE-only 'features' I don't understand.
What critical function is that activeX doing that cannot be done in a
compliant way? Is that feature so critical that if it is not done,
then the app cannot perforn it's intended function? Is there an
activeX control so critical, that if Microsoft had not invented it,
that online preregistration would not be possible?

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/425/red_hot_chili_peppers.php
Red Hot Chili Peppers Song Lyrics