Silly Question - New Login

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Sat Aug 6 10:39:42 UTC 2005

>>  Dotan Cohen wrote:

[ snip ]

>>  >That was a rather interesting post to read. But I've been googling for
>>  >some time now, as you interested me in what you had said about running
>>  >multiple guis in different consoles. I would like to have F7 and F8 as
>>  >two seperate gui's. How does one accomplish that? Thanks.
>>  >
>>  >Dotan Cohen
>>  >http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/402/pink_floyd.php
>>  >Pink Floyd Song Lyrics
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >

>>  Applications --> System tools -->> New Login
>>
>>  This will let you open different users for different consoles. There are
>>  items like sound that don't work wel on the new login, but it is handy
>>  for running KDE or XFCE in one console and Gnome in the other.

The command-line version of this (for those who are into such things)
might be  "X :1 -query <machinename> -once".

I say "might be" because I just tried this on my newly-installed FC4
system, and got (1) a blank screen with a little X in the middle,
and (2) error messages when I went back to the original screen
(with control-alt-F7).  I also tried it from a text console, with
the same result.

So I tried your GNOME-GUI way, described above, and that didn't work
either, though the symptoms were slightly different -- blank screen with
a cursor at the top, very similar to what was happening with the text
consoles before I applied the "copy libvgahw.a from an FC3 system"
fix discussed recently in this list.

Hm.  Anyone know what's wrong?  This can be a useful thing to have.

(Possibly the problem with my command-line way is that I don't know how
to properly specify <machinename>, and/or there are firewall issues.
I've tried "localhost" to start another session on the same machine,
without success.  I've also tried the name of a remote host to which I
*should* have access through its firewall (I can connect via "ssh"),
but also without success.  When I've done this before, the remote
machine and mine were both part of a local network, so there were no
firewall issues.)

-- blm