Choosing YUM Repositories

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Aug 6 11:26:33 UTC 2005

Ping-Wu Zhang wrote:

> I have heard that it is not a good idea to mix YUM repositories
> belonging to different "camps".  Apparently, there are two camps which
> should not be commingled:
>
> 1.  The default Fedora extra + Livna
> 2.  Everyone else (including dag, Freshrpms, etc.)
>
> Can someone tell me why you choose one camp over another?  I
> understand this question may turn into a flame bait.  But b/c this is
> a very important issue, I apologize for advance.  & I believe most of
> us are mature enough to make own decisions.  Thanks.

I realise this is a minority view,
and I am no sort of expert,
but I would not include livna with the Fedora repositories.

I would have two classes:

1. The 3 standard Fedora repositories (core, updates and extras); and
2. All the rest.

I would include all the repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d/
but with "enabled=0" for the non-standard ones.

Then if I wanted something eg in livna I would run
"yum --enablerepo=livna install ...".

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366