Choosing YUM Repositories

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun Aug 7 07:52:39 UTC 2005

Axel,

I appreciate your efforts very much and use atrpms for a long time now.
Didn't intended to hurt you (just to clarify) and didn't want to
reactivate the old discussion.

Nevertheless:

Am Samstag, den 06.08.2005, 11:42 +0200 schrieb Axel Thimm:
> > > 1.  The default Fedora extra + Livna
> > > 2.  Everyone else (including dag, Freshrpms, etc.)
>
> That's true for the one side, as it is known that (in the past at
> least) 1. would not cooperate with 2.
> Perhaps this has or will change, you're the community, demand that
> change.

I agree that 1)'s attitudes mostly had been the cause of the trouble.
Today, where alle the reputation and job hunting things are settled, it
may be worth to make a new try.

> There was nothing wrong with that, and there was nothing wrong with RH
> deciding to define the core and extras repos to not replace packages
> in each other. As there is nothing wrong with 3rd party repos
> replacing packages in core.
You are right, but it may be a problem, if a repo replaces packages
without the user beeing aware of it. And it is quite difficult to use
yours or dag's repo sometimes. If you do a yum update with all repos
activated, some packages will be updated by your repo or dag's, weather
those packages I use from your repo require it or not!  That is
definitely a problem, I think. And such a replacement may introduce
problems for other software which are not visible in terms of the rpm
classifications.

Therefore there is a urgent need for cooperation to simplify things.

A first step might be to differentiate your repo in atrpms/extra and
atrpm/addon, where the later contains packages which require a
replacement of core packages and those replacement packages.

> > If you wich to use the safe way, you should configure the other
> > repositories, but don't activate them by default (enabled=0 in the repo
> > file). If you look for a specific solftware package you may
> >
> >   yum --enablerepro=[deactiveRepoName] search [myNeededSoftware]
> >
> > And if one of the alternative repos has it, you may install it from
> > there in the same way.
>
> which creates more bugs than it solves. The replaced packages in core
> are not for the sports of it. Sometimes they are because other
> packages require features in them that the core packages do not offer.
>
> Doing it by temporary enabling a repo (or even with
> priorities/weight settings like apt/smart do) leads to broken
> setups.
>
> If you don't trust a repo, don't use anything from it. It will make
> your life and the repo maintainers' lives far easier, as diagnosing
> these problems are a nightmare.

See above, may resolve that.

Peter