fedora-list Digest, Vol 18, Issue 66

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Aug 7 09:49:19 UTC 2005

Hi Hoffman;

It couldn't be easier.  If the following explanation doesn't make sense
then your setup is different from mine.

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 05:12 -0400, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> Hi Bill:
>
> I would like to try your suggestion. How could I I
> muted / turned off IEC958, so?
> Thanks?
> Hoffmann

Open gnome-terminal (or KDE terminal) and at the prompt type: alsamixer

A simple bargraph should appear in your terminal screen with your cursor
beneath the first bar. Right arrow --> over 13 columns to IEC958 and
type 'm'.  An 'm' should appear in the IEC958 column.  If you see '00'
or anything else that means IEC958 is still on. Type 'm' again to get
the 'm' in the column.

Type Ctrl-c to close the bargraph, then close the gnome-terminal and try
your sound.

You may have to make the other changes I suggested in my previous post,
if after logging out and back in you find that something has turned
IEC958 back on. (That happened to me.)

Regards Bill