Running a script at boot

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Aug 7 19:46:08 UTC 2005

On Sun August 7 2005 3:35 pm, Steven Stern wrote:

> See "man 5 crontab"
>
>   These  special  time  specification  "nicknames"  are  supported, which
>         replace the 5 initial time and date fields, and are prefixed by
> the ’@’
>         character:
>         @reboot    :    Run once, at startup.
>         @yearly    :    Run once a year, ie.  "0 0 1 1 *".
>         @annually  :    Run once a year, ie.  "0 0 1 1 *".
>         @monthly   :    Run once a month, ie. "0 0 1 * *".
>         @weekly    :    Run once a week, ie.  "0 0 * * 0".
>         @daily     :    Run once a day, ie.   "0 0 * * *".
>         @hourly    :    Run once an hour, ie. "0 * * * *".

I just read this, because I'm interested as well. It raises a question.
Doesn't the Linux boot-sequence have a very specific ordering, with the
number values of each service determining their sequence in the stack, and
rc.local being last? If so, when does the script get executed using the
crontab @reboot method? There didn't seem to be anything in the man page
about that - am I missing something?
--
Claude Jones