python 2.4 on FC3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Aug 8 15:48:20 UTC 2005

John Wendel wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have an FC3 on a dedicated (remote) server.
>>> I would like to install Zope 2.8
>>> It recommends python 2.4 to be installed.
>>>
>>> would you know if there is some plans to have python 2.4 on FC3?
>>>
>>> I ask because when I try a "yum update python" there's nothing to
>>> upgrade/update.
>>

>> No plans whatsoever. There are a large number of packages in FC3 that
>> are built against the python 2.3 ABI, which would break if python was
>> upgraded. In you really want python 2,4, your best bet is to upgrade
>> to FC4.
>>
>> Paul.
>>

> Paul,
>
> Is it not possible to have 2.3 and 2.4 both installed? Why not?

Yes, it's possible, but the way to do it would be to have a "python24"
package rather than an update to the main python package itself. New
packages aren't likely to be introduced as updates, particularly not for
a distro that will be end-of-lifed in six months or so. A third-party
repo or Fedora Extras could do it though.

Paul.