interesting linux vs windows observation

VJ vijay.s.gill at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 16:48:10 UTC 2005

Do not get carried away. I have seen linux to be more fragile in my
case. I had a hard-disk with some bad sectors and linux would crash
like anything. I installed windowsXP just for fun and it did not crash
at all. I saw that it had detected the bad sector (it was logged in
event-viewer).

You might have been just lucky that linux has not tried to write data
in that bad area.

OR, your drive could have auto-remapped the bad sectors (many drives
do this) and thus getting rid of this problem for some time.

VJ